Wolverton Station Review

Wolverton Station - Joe Hill

I've never read NOS4A2 (ouch), Horns (ouch), Heart-Shaped Box (ouch), 20th Century Ghosts (ouch), or the Locke & Key series (ouch). Ok, enough with the pitchforks... alright? I'm warning you.

Despite these apparent oversights, Hill just added a new fan to his clan. Now that statement may seem kinda hasty, even absurd one might say, considering that this is merely based off reading just one work of his. But what's even more absurd is the fact that he managed to do it with just 31 pages. Yeah, 31 pages of sheer entertainment divided into two parts: a dark comedy and a comeuppance tale. Topped off with a pinch of sociopolitical commentary that never felt too overbearing or pretentious. I think it was embedded smoothly into the context of the story, but it didn't go without being a gripe. I was slightly put off by the anti-american self loathing to some degree. At the end of the day, it's just a matter of perspective and I totally get that but I thought it was a very limited and worn out one.

Wolverton Station doesn't take long to throw us into the meat of the story. Saunders, who works for a Starbucks-esque coffee house chain, is in England to open the latest international branch. Not a particularly nice person, Saunders thinks very highly of himself and his ability to turn a profit, regardless of the consequences to those around him. While taking the train to his next destination, Saunders is surprised to discover a wolf has boarded the train at the last stop. Not just any wolf, mind you, but a businesswolf. And what exactly does a businesswolf eat?

Color me impressed in spite of a ending I saw a block away. I found this more fun and appealing than some full-length novels. I loved the straightforward writing style and the "in-your face" suspenseful moments. I admired how cleverly written the protagonist was without being spoon fed mundane details. I walked into this with zero expectations and walked out utterly satisfied for the most part. Others have said that this isn't even close to being Hill's best work, and obviously I'm not qualified to speak on that. And if it isn't (my money says nope), that practically makes me all the more excited. Needless to say, I'm ready to explore his others works without reservation. If this were any indication on what's to come, this made for a really delicious appetizer.